By an upgrade, we mean a migration from older release of the product to newer release.
Upgrade can also mean a switch from less featured version (edition) of the product to a more featured version (edition) of the same product. For example, a switch from Standard Edition to Professional Edition is an upgrade. These upgrades are not free, as more featured versions (editions) of the product cost more than less featured ones.
Updates represent small improvements to the product, be it bug fixes, patches, or small feature additions. By an update, we mean a change from older version of a product to a newer version of the same product. For example, going from version 1.1 to version 1.2 is an update. We try to update our products frequently, however there are no fixed schedules, as to when, which product will be updated.
Upgrades vs. Updates
- Examples: New releases, such as Password Generator 2004 -> Password Generator 2005.
- Release Schedule: Depends on the product. Usually once every year or every year and a half.
- Cost: Depends on the product. Usually certain percentage of the new product's list price.
- Examples: Patches, quick fixes, minor feature additions, minor changes, various tweaks.
- Release Schedule: Depends on the product and on circumstances. Generally once every couple of months.
- Cost: Free, if the product was purchased with Complete Service Plan, or if are part of special offer. Otherwise, user should buy a service plan for the product to get these updates.
It is important to note that while Upgrades include all Minor Updates that were released before, it also includes many other, entirely new features, as well as enhanced functionality.
Getting Upgrades and Updates for Your Product
Please review information below about upgrading and updating procedures for your product.
We will e-mail you whenever we release a major new version of the product you purchased from us. This e-mail will contain instructions on how to get the upgrade. In case you already own an older version of the product and want to update to the latest version now, please contact us.
To upgrade (change edition) your product, please go to your product's home page, and look for "Upgrades" or "Change Product Edition" links, and follow the instructions. If you cannot find such links, that means that the product comes only in one edition, and you do not need to upgrade.
To get updates for your product, please go to your product's home page, and look for "Updates" or "Change Log" links, and follow the instructions. If you cannot find such links, that means that no updates have been released for the product yet, or that the product has been discontinued.